Week 10 - journal entry

Reflections of the week: I had an aha moment. I started taking the Substitute Teacher Training, online in preparation for submitting my application to the school district to become a substitute teacher. As I was reading the material about learning styles, multiple intelligences, Bloom's Taxonomy, Marzano's dimensions of learning, and preparing a lesson plan, I understood why students were invited to disagree with (and explain why) the concepts taught in the book "Mastery" for our last book report! He describes an outmoded style of teaching! What he describes is how we were taught in public school, as I was growing up as a child - with the teacher standing in front of the classroom talking at the students. As I was studying the material that I need to learn, I reflected on my experiences volunteering in the classroom for my children's classes. It was much more like what I was reading about! As I learn more about lesson planning and attempting to teach a concept like "the life cycle of a butterfly" and do activities in a way that captures all of the different styles of learning, I was blown away! Our teachers do not get paid nearly enough!!!!

Dreaming big: I want to go to grad school and get a master's degree in social work! It is not a coincidence that the week I found a program that is somewhat local, affordable, part-time, online, with synchronous and asynchronous classes the.very.week. that I was released from my calling as YW president, where I have been serving for the past 3 1/2 years! Timing!

I loved my interview with Margaret! She initially didn't want me to report that one of her biggest struggles was her confidence. I assured her that it was exactly what I should share! That confidence is something that all entrepreneurs struggle with at some point. She was surprised to hear that! My interview with her reinforces the "Big Dream".  I will be spending next week finishing my application for grad school and finishing my online training for substitute teaching. What a perfect job to have in grad school - flexible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog